The kitchen is one of the most aesthetic and active areas – it’s the heart of your home, a place where families and friends gather to share memories and meals but it also can be dangerous. Knowledge and mindfulness are the secrets to kitchen safety and it’s important to be aware of the hazards that can endanger you and your family. Fortunately, with a little experience and some extra caution, you can prevent a recipe for disaster.
Clean as You Go – Clean what you use as you work and keep your cooking area clean and clear. Clean cooking surfaces to prevent food and grease build-up. Grease can easily catch fire, so make sure to wipe up any spills on the floors, counters, and keep the oven grease-free. Keep potholders, towels, wooden utensils, food packaging, and curtains away from any type of heating element.
Unattended Cooking – Leaving appliances unattended while on a high heat is a major cause of kitchen fires according to the NFPA. Two-thirds of home cooking fires result from grease or food igniting, which is likely to occur if you leave the stove unattended. If you have to answer the door or pick up the phone in another room, turn down the heat to prevent potentially deadly kitchen hazards.
The Range Hood and Filter – Hoods and hood filters in commercial applications are required to be cleaned regularly for safety reasons. After years of use, even residential range hoods and filters can accumulate enough grease to start a fire. Clean the underside of the hood often and follow the manufacturer’s instructions for changing the filter.
Fire Extinguisher – Do you keep a fire extinguisher in the kitchen? Does everyone in your family know how to use it? In most homes, the answer to at least one of these questions is no. If you don’t already have one, a multipurpose dry-chemical fire extinguisher capable of putting out Class A (ordinary), Class B (flammable liquids) and Class C (electrical) fires. When using, make sure to keep working end pointed away from you. Trust us, having your eves and face full of chemicals is almost worse than a fire, and will result in a visit to your local ER.
Overloaded Circuits – Faulty wiring, including overloaded circuits, accounts for 33% of home fires. In older homes with fewer outlets, it’s common to use extension cords or power strips to increase the number of outlets. Because cooking appliances produce a lot of heat, they consume a large amount of power. Never plug any kitchen appliance into an old power strip or extension cord that might not be able to handle the watt requirement.
Mold – Because spores can create mold colonies anywhere there is warmth, moisture and organic material, the kitchen is especially ripe for mold growth. Under-sink plumbing leaks, a steamy dishwasher, a dirty sponge, pools of water in the sink – they all harbor mold growth. If you have a mold problem, consider professional remediation for large areas. To prevent the problem from returning, fix leaks, run a dehumidifier, and operate the hood exhaust fan when cooking and running the dishwasher.
Professional Restoration Services
If the kitchen or any other area on your property experiences water, fire, smoke or mold damage, you can trust Xtreme Home Improvement to provide a full array of mitigation, remediation, and restoration services. We are one of the most highly trained and experienced companies serving Central Pennsylvania. Not only do we consider each case with urgency but arrive at your property with advanced equipment and products to thoroughly clean and restore your home to a safe, healthy environment.
Your family’s safety depends largely on how you handle these kitchen hazards. Utilize these simple tips and for more information about protecting your family and property, please contact Xtreme Home Improvement. We offer mold, fire and other remediation services following traumatic events to restore your home to its prior state.