Many people live in homes with mold growth and never realize it’s there. They ignore the warning signs until the problem reaches a point where the mold is taking over and affecting their health. Discovering that you have mold within your home can cause you to feel many things. You might initially feel disgust, frustration or even a sense of being overwhelmed. Placing the home up for sale might be the first thing that pops into your mind, but that should be a last resort. Mold infestation is a problem and its removal can be a daunting task but where do you begin? Before trying to survey your mold problem, it’s important to have a basic understanding of mold.
Mold spores are all around us nearly all of the time. They float through the air and settle all around. For most of us, they only really become a problem when conditions allow them to grow from dormant spores to active colonies. Mold can be found almost anywhere and can grow on any surface or substance. All it needs to start growing is water, air, and time. You can assume that mold will grow in the areas of your home you rarely visit: the attic, the top of a closet, in between the walls, and other obscure places. Mold thrives in warm and moist environments and can grow very quickly. It can rapidly spread before you even realize it’s there.
It’s important to be aware of what the signs are that you may be sharing your home with more than just your family. Signs that you may have mold include:
A strange odor – Mold has a pungent smell. When it is confined to one area of your home, you may notice an unpleasant odor when you are in that area. Mold can sometimes live within the walls or behind wallpaper, and so you might not immediately associate the smell with mold. If you do notice an unusual persistent odor in your home, the culprit may be mold.
The appearance of mold – In your shower stall or bathtub, its easy to distinguish normal soap scum from mold. However, in the basement or cellar you may have to investigate a little further to find the mold. Mold will take hold of damp areas, so if you have a wall or floor where dampness collects, mold could very well be there as well.
Health symptoms – Because mold is not always visible, it can be difficult realizing that you do indeed have a mold problem. If you feel listless, congested and experience watering eyes while in your home, these can all be signs of the presence of mold. It’s not uncommon for a person who lives in a home that has mold to feel better while at work or out shopping. Their health problems begin the moment they step through their front door. Mold can often be the cause of this.
Do You Have a Mold Problem?
If you do think that you may have a mold problem, you’ll need to put on your investigator hat and get to work. Check all moist areas of your home first. If that doesn’t turn up any mold consider calling in a professional.
It can be difficult to stay in a home where the mold is causing an odor or is visible. You may feel very uncomfortable; however, for most people a small amount of mold will not cause serious health problems.
If you do suffer from allergies and find it is causing breathing problems it might be wise to find a temporary place to stay until the mold problem is addressed. Ignoring the warning signs that you may have mold only prolongs the problems you will experience. Be aggressive in locating the source of the mold and addressing it. After all, nothing is more important than your health.
Here’s the Question
Can you remove it yourself, or is it a better idea to hire professionals? It will depend on the situation. However, an important distinction needs to be made – there’s a difference between mold removal and mold remediation. Since mold spores exist naturally almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors, removing all mold from a home or business is impossible. The process of mold remediation focuses on getting mold levels back to normal, natural levels. If you are brave enough, have at least basic knowledge of mold removal, and the proper protection gear, you might try to deal with the problem but it’s not as easy as you might think. For example, it is not enough to use mold killer chemicals on your bathroom tiles, as it is not effective. The only way to do it properly is by replacing the tiles. Even dead fungus gives off volatile organic compounds and is a potential allergen, and that’s why you need to dispose of affected surface.
The primary benefit of hiring professionals is that they are fully equipped to handle any mold issue, from small to large. When you call them and they arrive at your home, the first thing they will do is assess the situation. After they get more familiar with your problem, they will do a thorough inspection, as well as mold testing. When these initial steps are finished, it is time for the actual mold removal and remediation. Very soon, your home will once again be mold-free.
By contacting a reputable company, like Xtreme Home Improvement that specializes in mold removal, 100% of the fungus will be removed. Our certified technicians use state-of-the-art technologies to determine the source and location of the mold, whether it’s visible or not. Besides taking care of your problem, we can give you personalized advice on how to maintain a mold-free environment after the end of the remediation process.
Remember, the key to mold control is moisture control and it’s good to work on preventing mold from growing in the first place. But when you need help, trust the experienced team at Xtreme Home Improvement to handle your mold problem. We care!