Before Summer begins to wind down and your family starts spending more time indoors, prepare your home heating and cooling system to make sure the air vents are ready for the cooler weather. With an air duct cleaning, less dust is distributed which means less house work. Dirt buildup creates friction and reduces the heating and cooling efficiency which will have an effect on your bank account. According to the EPA, a buildup of .042 inches of dirt can result in a decrease in efficiency of 21%.
Signs That Your Air Ducts May Need Cleaned
- Black debris around air vents, indicating a soiled system.
- Dust, cobwebs, or other debris visibly blowing from ductwork/registers.
- Evidence of insect or rodent infestation.
- Offensive odors from your ductwork or HVAC system.
- Frequent bouts of illness or allergies among your family.
This is not a do-it-yourself job. It requires more than a quick wipe down. Trained technicians will inspect each air duct. Brush and vacuum equipment, specially designed to remove ductwork debris, is used. In all cases of duct cleaning, it is also necessary to address the source of the dirty air duct to prevent recurrence, including moisture, water, dust, debris, pest contamination, and other pollutants. Cleaning must be performed when your home is unoccupied, such as nights and weekends. Special equipment is used for the safety of the air quality in your home, including filters, ventilation equipment, containment barriers, and more.
- Make sure your heating and cooling system is regularly cleaned and maintained by a professional.
- Regularly change your air filter.
- Maintain good housekeeping practices to reduce the likelihood of contaminants.
Invest in your family’s respiratory health and contact Xtreme Home Improvement. We offer thorough duct cleaning services for homeowners and businesses in Central Pennsylvania.